V Festival to get new name as it loses Virgin sponsorship
- Credit: PA
A top Essex music festival has lost its main sponsor after 22 years.
Sir Richard Branson has announced Virgin will no longer sponsor V Festival, which takes place in August at Hylands Park, Chelmsford, and simultaneously at Weston Park in Staffordshire.
He said this year’s festival was Virgin’s last.
• Highlights of day one of V Festival 2017 at ChelmsfordHowever, the festival will continue, with another company expected to take Virgin’s role.
In a statement on the Virgin website, Sir Richard said: “V Festival has always been a special weekend for everyone at Virgin.
“We’ve been proud to sponsor V Festival for the past two decades and there have been some incredible performances on the stage.
You may also want to watch:
“Now, after 22 very enjoyable and successful years, 2017 was Virgin’s last V Festival.
“Being part of V Festival has been an honour and there are some amazing moments that will stay with me forever – including introducing Paul Weller and welcoming V2 Records’ first signing The Stereophonics to a massive audience.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
“Working on V Festival has been a brilliant journey filled with great people, fun times and exceptional music.
“We wish Live Nation every success with their future plans. We would like to thank them for a brilliant partnership over recent years.”
A message posted on the festival’s Twitter page said the event would carry on during the usual weekend in August, with a new name.
The tweet said: “Thanks for being a great sponsor @Virgin.
“The name of the new festival that continues on the same weekend in 2018 will be announced soon.”
V Festival was launched in 1996 and has featured some of the world’s biggest stars, including Justin Bieber, Rihanna and Jay Z.