Vegas lawyers slap lawsuit on Framlingham man
LAS Vegas lawyers have issued a lawsuit against a Suffolk man they accuse of trying to broadcast a pay-per-view cage fighting championship for free over the internet
Attorneys for Nevada-based Zuffa LLC, which owns the Ultimate Fighting Championship, is using anti-cyber squatting legislation to claim Jonathan Lewell has created a website to air the mixed martial arts UFC 111 on Saturday<27.3.>
Papers have been filed with the United States District Court of Nevada seeking an injunction and to transfer of the registration of www.watchufc111free.com from Mr Lewell to the UFC.
Saturday’s competition in New Jersey is of particular interest over this side of the Atlantic as it represents a landmark for a British fighter. The event will feature Nottingham’s Dan Hardy challenging for a world title.
Lawyers from Lewis and Roca LLP, representing Zuffa LLC, claim the website registered to Mr Lewell, a young man who lives in Framlingham, and a similar site belonging to an individual in Florida, offer people the opportunity to avoid paying $44.95 (around �30) to see the competition.
You may also want to watch:
The suit claims the two sites were registered in bad faith.
Documents state Mr Lewell registered a site on January 13, 2010, with GoDaddy.com.Inc, a registrar of domain names which contains UFC registration marks.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 4 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 5 Woman who pocketed cash for memorial bench avoids prison
- 6 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 7 When Eagles Dare documentary reveals how close Ian Holloway came to being named Ipswich Town manager
- 8 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 9 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 10 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road
In the lawsuit the attorneys say they are acting “upon information and belief <watchufc111.com> is an internet domain name registered by Jonathan Lewell, an individual residing in Framlingham, Suffolk, United Kingdom”.
The site itself claims viewers will be able to watch UFC 111 “absolutely free with no strings attached”. It goes on to state: “This is the only site on the web that will be giving you a high quality, live and free stream to the biggest fighting event on the planet.”
Companies staging pay-per-view events are increasingly concerned about websites offering to broadcast them free of charge.
Mr Lewell’s father declined to comment on the lawsuit.