Video: Trainspotter cheats death at rural station
A RAILWAY buff narrowly avoided being hit by a 70mph train as he filmed a historic steam locomotive passing through a Suffolk village, it emerged today.
British Transport Police officers said they were keen to speak to the man involved in order to offer “words of advice” following the incident at Thurston, near Bury St Edmunds, last Saturday.
Footage showed that a train travelling at about 70mph almost hit the trainspotter as he filmed the Oliver Cromwell pass through the village, said a spokesman.
“A number of steam train enthusiasts attended the rural station to watch the Oliver Cromwell pass through,” he added. “Footage shows the man on the crossing facing towards the steam train and filming it with a camcorder.
“A train travelling from the opposite direction then passes through at an estimated 70mph, almost clipping the man and causing a rush of air that unsteadies him on his feet.”
You may also want to watch:
Inspector Ian Smart said: “Had this man been standing just a few inches closer to the track, I am in no doubt that he would have either been killed or extremely badly injured.
“We’re not out to spoil anyone’s fun or enjoyment of what is part of our national heritage but it is absolutely vital that people do not take risks that endanger their lives or the lives of others.
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 3 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 4 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 5 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
- 8 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 9 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 10 Truck's four-figure repair fee at Colchester garage left unpaid
“The last thing we want to see is someone paying the ultimate price just to get a close-up photo or video of a steam train.”