War hero battles with MoD over medal

A SUFFOLK war hero has slammed Ministry of Defence officials after he said calls to replace his treasured war medal replaced have gone unanswered.George Wake, 75, earned a General Service Medal after a two-year stint in Palestine during the Second World War but lost the prized possession in a military parade last year.

A SUFFOLK war hero has slammed Ministry of Defence officials after he said calls to replace his treasured war medal replaced have gone unanswered.

George Wake, 75, earned a General Service Medal after a two-year stint in Palestine during the Second World War but lost the prized possession in a military parade last year.

Mr Wake said he was ignored and unable to proudly show off his medal at the recent Remembrance Sunday parades, despite letters to the MoD Army Medal Office.

The former Suffolk Regiment 1st Battalion soldier has now enlisted the help of west Suffolk MP Richard Spring in a bid to recieve a replacement medal.


You may also want to watch:


He said: "It was very upsetting when I lost my medals and I was appalled with the lack of response from the Ministry of Defence.

"It has not been a nice experience over the last 12 months and I have been terribly upset by it all.

Most Read

"After I lost one of my medals, I wrote to the War Office but I got no reply – I wrote three letters in all.

"I was very disappointed with their lack of response and I was shocked that they didn't even write anything back.

"After I received no replies, I wrote to Mr Spring to see if he could help and I was very pleased with his response."

Mr Wake, of Newmarket, said he has spent the last 12 months trying to replace the medal but the lack of response from the MoD has been met with anger from both Mr Wake and Mr Spring.

Mr Spring said: "This is surely the most humiliating way in which to treat a war veteran and someone who has served his country with honour during the last world war in virtually impossible conditions.

"Mr Wake was caused immense embarrassment on Remembrance Sunday at the parade by not having his medals on display.

"I am absolutely furious Mr Wake has been ignored by the Ministry of Defence; it beggars belief that his request has not received the attention it deserves.

"Mr Wake is a person of the highest integrity who fought for his country, but who has been treated shabbily by the very institution which relied in his services so many years ago."

Mr Spring has written to Geoff Hoon, Secretary of State for Defence, calling for immediate action.

A spokeswoman for the MoD said they would be in contact with Mr Wake to discuss the matter.

She added: "We do our utmost to ensure servicemen are granted what they are due."

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus