Wattisham: Tenants escape cottage fire
A mother and her son escaped unharmed when the roof of the their thatched Suffolk cottage caught fire.
Firefighters battled for more than two hours to save the roof of the cottage at Wattisham, near Stowmarket.
The blaze, believed to have started from the chimney, destroyed a two metre strip of thatch and left the home’s tenants in limbo for the night.
Fire crews were called to the cottage in Wattisham Road, at about 6.18pm this evening. Fire engines from Needham Market, Stowmarket, Hadleigh, Elmswell, Bury and Ixworth attended.
Watch manager Michael Peck said: “The first two crews to arrive here have done an excellent job and helped to save the whole of the roof.
You may also want to watch:
“We believe that the fire started as a result of heat radiating from the building’s chimney.”
The fire was extinguished shortly after 8pm but crews stayed at the scene to dampen down the roof.
- 1 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 2 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 3 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 4 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
- 5 Wanted man arrested in Stowupland village
- 6 Chambers on a 'Town core setting standards' at Colchester
- 7 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 8 Farmer's anger at 'utterly vile' dog owner who tied dog mess to gate lock
- 9 Saxmundham man, 26, appears in court charged with 11 child sex offences
- 10 'Happy-go-lucky' mum died in Ipswich days after news of second lockdown
For the full story see tomorrow’s paper.