Waveney: Jazz role for former MP
FORMER Waveney MP Bob Blizzard expressed his delight after being named as the new chairman of the national organisation Jazz Services.
Mr Blizzard was secretary of the all-party Parliamentary jazz appreciation group – which included the likes of Ken Clarke and John Prescott – during his time at Westminster.
Now he is looking forward to taking an active role in promoting the music and helping British jazz to continue to grow, from the grass roots to the international arena.
Speaking about the new non-executive post, Mr Blizzard said: “It is quite nice. I have been in love with jazz since I was a student, and my personal music collection is nearly all jazz. When I was in parliament, as secretary of the all-party group, I set up the parliamentary jazz awards, which are now the only jazz awards still running nationally.
“Jazz Services knew I was passionate about jazz, so in September they asked me to join their board, and by the third meeting they had asked me to become chairman.”
You may also want to watch:
Jazz Services is an Arts Council England-funded organisation which was formed more than 25 years ago and has expanded steadily since the new millennium began. It provides a voice and support for UK jazz, promoting its growth, accessibility and development in the UK and abroad.
Mr Blizzard added: “Jazz is definitely on the up, and the aim is to reach right across the country, to bring young people through and develop all the bands.”
- 1 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 2 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 3 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 4 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 5 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 7 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 8 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 9 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
- 10 Orwell Bridge: Road block removed as person safely off bridge