West Suffolk College music student to join Kylie Minogue tour for backstage experience
- Credit: Archant
A music technology student from Sudbury will gain a unique insight into the industry next month with a work experience placement on Kylie Minogue’s tour.
Orion Nichol, who attends West Suffolk College, in Bury St Edmunds, used his grandad’s childhood friendship with Kylie’s tour manager to get the backstage experience.
The 17-year-old student will be working in London for a week through Kylie’s rehearsals and a show – helping to create the set while working alongside the sound, tech and lighting teams.
Orion said: “You have to take opportunities where you find them. We are told to go to shows and give out our cards and talk to everybody as well as promoting ourselves on social media.
“I have kept my grandad’s friend up to date with my progress on the course and now I have the biggest opportunity I have ever had.”
Joe Stocking, course director for music, music tech and electronic music, said: “This is a brilliant opportunity which has arisen through hard work and perseverance.
“Orion has developed outstanding stage management and live production skills throughout his time on the music technology course, but he also understands the importance of networking and going the extra mile – this is something that we really push all our students to do.
- 1 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 2 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 3 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 4 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 5 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 6 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 7 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 8 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 9 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 10 Sunday sermon required at Portman Road... why Crewe game is 'must win' for Town
“This opportunity will open up further doors to him.”