Asbestos scare forces school closure
Westgate Primary School in Bury St Edmunds was closed at just a few hours notice after concerns about an asbestos panel ahead of renovation works.
Westgate Primary School in Bury St Edmunds was forced to close on Tuesday, June 4 as a precaution after pre-work checks revealed the panel had previously been moved.
In an email to parents and carers on Monday afternoon, headteacher Jenny Cockett said: "Due to unexpected circumstances and the need for emergency repair work, I have made the difficult decision that the school will be closed (tomorrow) on Tuesday 4th June.
"I recognise that this will be very inconvenient. However, this decision has been taken with the children's well being in mind."
A spokesman for Suffolk County Council said work was about to begin on a new secure lobby area for the school, which is in Brooklands Close.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "Prior to the works being undertaken, a refurbishment and demolition survey was carried out. This survey identified a tile of asbestos that had been previously disturbed.
"This prompted additional checks to take place with immediate effect. As a precaution, the decision was made to close the school, which is why the school was unable to let parents know about the closure beforehand.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 4 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 8 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 9 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 10 Suffolk holiday accommodation reaching capacity ahead of re-opening
"The checks have concluded that the school is safe and, as a result, will be open again tomorrow."
The spokesman said workmen had remained on site throughout Tuesday to safely remove the panel but the school was still scheduled to re-open on Wednesday.
The school takes children from nursery age up to year-six.
Asbestos was widely used in the building industry until the late 1980s before being totally banned in 2003.
It is extremely dangerous if disturbed or damaged as it releases fibres into the air which can, if inhaled, cause serious diseases in the long-term, including lung cancer.