Westleton: Firefighters tackle field blaze
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters are tackling a major field blaze which has engulfed three acres of heathland.
Fire crews were alerted to the blaze in Westleton at around 1.10pm today.
Eye-witness Nick Sibbett, of Bury St Edmunds, said he saw smoke billowing from Westleton Common while he was conducting a bat survey in the area.
“The fire brigade were in attendance quickly,” he said.
“After the fire brigade arrived the fire continued to spread for a few minutes, then rapidly shrunk. Flames were around double the height of the telegraph poles in the area, so reached around 10m in height.
You may also want to watch:
“The smoke was nearly blowing towards me and I didn’t approach closer in case the wind turned! Also I didn’t want to get in the way of the fire brigade who were doing such a good job.”
Three fire engines remain on scene.
- 1 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 4 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 5 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 7 Stuart Watson's Verdict: Judge Chambers and Skuse's legacy by what their peers said
- 9 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 10 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
Elsewhere, fire crews brought under control a blaze which engulfed 10m of a hedge row in Hill House Lane, Needham Market, at around 1.30pm today.