Wham! Pop legend George Michael jailed for drug-driving smash
MUSIC legend George Michael was today jailed for eight weeks after he admitted ploughing his Range Rover into a shop while under the influence of cannabis.
The 47-year-old, whose real name is Georgios Panayiotou, was found slumped at the wheel of his car after it smashed into a branch of Snappy Snaps.
Police who banged on the window to rouse him suspected he was under the influence of something after they found him “spaced out” and with no memory of what had happened.
The star was found to be carrying two cannabis cigarettes and tests on a sample of his blood showed he had chemicals linked to the drug in his system.
Michael, who has a previous conviction for the same offence, admitted driving while unfit through drugs and possessing two cannabis cigarettes when he appeared at London’s Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court last month.
You may also want to watch:
He was jailed today when he appeared at the same court for sentencing.
Michael, wearing a charcoal suit with a black tie, was escorted from court in a black car with tinted windows by four private security personnel.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 3 Town face competition from Championship club for Rotherham midfielder Crooks
- 4 A14 and A12 set for major upgrade work
- 5 Former Ipswich Town boss Keane as you've never seen him before
- 6 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe car park
- 7 Full list: Everyone in Suffolk in the Queen's Birthday Honours 2021
- 8 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia
- 9 Glass found in popular paddling pool forcing it to close
- 10 Two men arrested after police uncover cannabis farm