When and where can you see Oliver Cromwell travel through Suffolk on final journey today?
- Credit: Archant
Steam icon Oliver Cromwell will travel through Suffolk today as the engine is to make what could be its final journey before retirement.
The engine will travel on the main line from London and through East Anglia - and is expected to attract a number of admirers to watch what could be its final visit to the region.
Oliver Cromwell’s boiler certificate runs out next month and there has been no decision on whether the National Railway Museum’s locomotive will be overhauled to return to the main line – or just kept as a static exhibit at one of the NRM’s sites.
The train will leave Colchester for Norwich between 11.44am and 11.57am, passing through - but not stopped at - Ipswich at about 12.30pm and beside Needham Lakes where a large crowd is likely to watch it at about 12.40pm.
It will arrive at Norwich Station’s platform 2 between 1.23pm and 1.33pm.
You may also want to watch:
The best places to see it in Ipswich are likely to be at Bourne Park just before 12.30pm and from Gippeswyck Park near the station as it passes by the former goods yard.
Its return trip will be during the darkness, leaving Norwich between 6.50pm and 7.06pm and returning to Colchester between 8.53pm and 9.06pm.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 6 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 7 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 8 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 9 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 10 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
We would love to see your pictures and video of the iconic steam engine travelling through the county.
To share them with us, email firstname.lastname@example.org
For full timings on the train’s journey and scheduled stops, visit the Steam Dreams website.