When are the school holidays for students in Suffolk and Essex during 2016 and 2017?
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
With the threat of fines and even prosecution looming over parents who take their children out of school, it is more important than ever to check the school term dates before booking your holidays.
Here we bring you the official holiday dates for 2016/2017 for schools run by the local authorities in Suffolk and Essex - check with your child’s schools for details on staff training days.
Spring Term 2016
For most schools the Christmas break comes to an end this weekend, schools in Essex go back on Monday, January 4 but in Suffolk the majority of classes resume on Tuesday, January 5 as Monday is non-pupil day.
There are just six weeks until schools break up for the half term holiday on Friday, February 12, with pupils returning on Monday, February 22.
You may also want to watch:
The spring term runs until Thursday, March 24 - breaking up a day early to allow pupils to celebrate the Easter weekend from Friday, March 25 to Monday, March 28.
Summer Term 2016
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 3 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 4 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 5 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 6 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 7 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 8 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
- 9 Why Cook has given Norwood Ipswich Town's captain's armband
- 10 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
Schools start back on Monday, April 11 after the two-week Easter break.
The half term week runs from end of school on Friday, May 27, with pupils expected back in the playground on Monday, June 6.
The Suffolk Show takes place during this half term week, with show days on Wednesday and Thursday, June 1 and 2 in 2016.
Classes break for the summer holidays on Friday, July 22 - signalling the start of the long six-week summer break.
Autumn Term 2016
The six-week break is due to come to an end at the very end of August in 2016 in Essex, with classes starting back on Thursday, September 1.
But many pupils in Suffolk will be granted a reprieve as most schools will opt for a training day on Thursday, September 1 - meaning classes will actually resume on Friday, September 2.
Classes run through to Friday, October 21, with the half term break officially running from Monday, October 24 to Friday, October 28.
Christmas holidays are less than traditional next year with the last day of term being Wednesday, December 21.
Spring Term 2017
Classes resume on Thursday, January 5 after the two-week Christmas break.
The half term break starts from the afternoon of Friday, February 10.
The spring term resumes on Monday, February 20 with classes breaking for Easter on Friday, March 31 for two weeks - plus an additional day as Easter falls late and therefore Monday, April 17 is a Bank Holiday.