Whistleblower claims 20 people died where East of England ambulances were late

MP Clive Lewis. Picture: PA IMAGES

MP Clive Lewis. Picture: PA IMAGES - Credit: PA Archive/PA Images

An MP has told parliament 20 people died in instances when ambulances arrived late to emergencies in East Anglia during a spell of intense pressure over the Christmas period.

Clive Lewis told the House of Commons a whistleblower had come to him with the shocking claim.

The whistleblower alleged that senior operations managers wanted to move the East of England Ambulance Service to the highest state of alert on December 19 but a final decision was not made until New Year’s Eve.

Resource Escalation Action Plan (REAP) Level 4 was finally enacted although bosses decided against calling in help from elsewhere which could have seen the military answering 999 emergencies.

Raising a point of order the Norwich South MP said: “I hope to get your advice on an exceptionally serious issue that’s been brought to me by a whistleblower in my constituency relating to the East of England Ambulance Service.

You may also want to watch:

“It has been put to me that the service became critically over-stretched due to high demand on December 19, and at that point senior operational managers wanted to move to REAP 4, the highest state of emergency, and seek mutual aid, most likely from the armed forces.

“However, that decision was not taken until 31 December, some 12 days later, and even then aid was not requested by senior management.

Most Read

“I’ve been informed during this period that 20 people died in incidents where ambulances arrived late.”

Further details about the alleged deaths are not known.

A spokesman at East of England Ambulance Service Trust said: “We recognise that some people experienced a delay in their care over the festive period and we, along with the wider health care system, experienced significant pressure.

“We always monitor our demand and capacity and take necessary actions to protect patients. The trust has a robust internal process and we are investigating appropriately. Since Christmas we have responded to in excess of 50,000 patients – less than 0.2% of patients have experienced a significant delay.”

On January 2, an 81-year-old woman was found dead by paramedics in her Clacton-on-Sea home almost four hours after she phoned 999 complaining of chest pains.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus