Wickham Market: Exhibition stirs up metal detector’s memories of Viking find
A Suffolk treasure hunter has recalled unearthing the “discovery of a lifetime”, after learning that his amazing find was going on display at the British Museum.
Seeing news of the silver Viking pendant being exhibited in London brought back exciting memories for Andy Humphrey, who uncovered the item more than a decade ago in Wickham Market.
The 47-year-old, who runs a small cleaning business and has been metal detecting for about 20 years, remembers the moment in 2002 vividly. He said: “I’d been given permission by a local farmer to search a small field. I had already found pottery and assumed there must have been some kind of settlement there in the past.
“I’d been out for three or four hours one Sunday when this came up. It the third item I came across that day and I thought it was medieval at first, but I always get stuff identified to make sure.
“After going through the proper channels I was offered a reward, which I halved with the farmer.”
You may also want to watch:
The Colchester and Ipswich Museum Service has loaned the pendant to the British Museum for its Vikings: Life and Legend exhibition, which continues until June 22.
Mr Humphrey said: “It’s really nice for people to be able to see it. I think it’s great.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 3 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 4 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 5 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 6 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 9 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
- 10 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
“I still go out with the detector most weekends. I’ve found the odd Roman coin but never anything as significant as this. It’s a once in a lifetime find.”