Will an Ipswich Witch be British speedway champion tonight? There is a chance!
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
British Final: Belle Vue Stadium, tonight, 7.30pm, writes Henry Chard.
WHEN AND WHERE…
The 2019 British Final takes place at the National Speedway Stadium tonight, starting at 7.30pm, live on BT Sport.
1. Charles Wright 2. Rory Schlein 3. Edward Kennett 4. Simon Lambert 5. Danny King 6. Danny Ayres 7. Paul Starke 8. Kyle Newman 9. Richard Lawson 10. Craig Cook 11. Dan Bewley 12. Lewis Kerr 13. Chris Harris 14. Steve Worrall 15. Robert Lambert 16. Scott Nicholls
You may also want to watch:
REFEREE: D. Hartley
VENUE: National Speedway Stadium
- 1 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 2 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 3 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 4 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 5 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 6 Ndaba on Salford, Neville's advice, his brush with Ronaldo-mania and his goal of reaching the Ipswich Town first-team
- 7 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
- 8 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 9 Exhausted farmers cool off the combines after gruelling harvest
- 10 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
WHAT'S THE STORY?
The 'Tru Plant' Witches are well represented at tonight's British Final with four Ipswich riders competing for the title.
Captain Danny King, Richard Lawson, Chris Harris and Edward Kennett all head to Manchester for the showpiece event with ambitions of becoming the new British champion and in the process becoming the wildcard for the British Speedway Grand Prix at Cardiff in September.
Both King and Harris have experienced being crowned Britain's number one with King winning at the National Speedway Stadium in 2016. Harris is a three-time champion winning in 2007, 2009 and 2010 at both Monmore Green and Wimborne Road.
Kennett has come close to lifting the title on several occasions, reaching the final in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2012, with his best performances coming in 2008 and 2009 where he finished runner-up.
Lawson's best performances came in 2015 and 2016 where he reached the semi-final stage. Robert Lambert will be looking to defend his crown and the Grand Prix reserve will be the favourite for the championship. Amongst the field is former Witch Scott Nicholls who has seven British titles to his name.
FROM THE MANAGER…
'Tru Plant' Witches team manager Ritchie Hawkins looks ahead to the event…
"I will be going on Monday to support all of them and will be in the pits with them. Danny will be going there looking to get another title, the same as Chris will be. They have both won it and know what that feeling is like and I'm sure it's a trophy they want back. Chris has been up and down this year but hopefully he can have a good one.
"Eddie has a good record in British finals and I think everyone knows how talented and capable he is. I am sure he will do very well in that meeting. Looking at the line-up, Richard should be going there with the aim of being British champion. I hope he goes to Belle Vue with those hopes as he is capable of achieving it and how brilliant would it be to have a Witch at the top of the rostrum?"
As mentioned above, defending champion Lambert will go into the event as favourite and is the only one in the field competing in this year's Grand Prix albeit as a series reserve. Former champion Craig Cook has plenty of experience at the National Speedway Stadium and will be looking to win back the title despite riding with a wrist injury. Belle Vue's Dan Bewley will ride at his home track and he finished second in 2018. Australian Rory Schlein will be hoping to be the first overseas winner of the event since Ivan Mauger in 1972.
ON THE ROAD…
The National Speedway Stadium track measures at 347 metres with the track record belonging to Niels-Kristian Iversen who set a time of 58.2 in July of 2016. Ticket information can be found here whilst useful information about your visit and travel information can be found here.