Witham: Man arrested on suspicion of GBH
- Credit: Archant
A 45-year-old man is currently in custody having been arrested on suspicion of GBH with intent after a man in his 50s was found unconscious in Witham.
Police were contacted just after 1.35am this morning, Saturday, October 5, with reports a man was injured in the street near the junction of Newland Street and Collingwood Road.
This area remains cordoned off for investigations this morning.
The man, aged 58 from Witham was taken by ambulance to Chelmsford’s Broomfield Hospital with multiple head and chest injuries and is said to be critical but stable.
The arrested man from Rugby in Warwickshire remains in custody for questioning this morning.
You may also want to watch:
Detectives are examining CCTV and investigating the circumstances leading up to the assault of the man. It is believed both parties were inside the Red Lion pub when an altercation occurred.
DCI Simon Werrett of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: “There would have been people around who may have witnessed the assault or were drinking in the Red Lion pub. We would encourage anyone who can provide any information to contact detectives at Braintree CID on 101.”
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 3 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 4 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 5 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 6 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 9 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 10 CCTV issued after thieves steal almost £900 in toys and food from B&M