Witham MP calls on police to bring ‘low life criminals to justice’ after Essex burglary which saw elderly couple punched
A night-time burglary which saw an elderly couple punched and children dragged from their beds has been branded “sickening” by an Essex MP.
Witham MP Priti Patel last night called on police to hunt for four men who broke into a home in Rambler Close, Stanway on Thursday – urging detectives to “bring to justice the low life criminals” responsible for the crime.
Balaclava-clad suspects forced their way into the house at 8.30pm on Thursday, punching a man and a woman in their 70s and dragging two children out of their beds.
They demanded cash, and stole jewellery and other items before making off in a red vehicle in the direction of Halstead Road.
Ms Patel, whose constituency includes Stanway, said: “This is a horrific and terrible crime. My thoughts are with the family affected, who must be extremely distressed by what has happened.
“The police must track down and bring to justice the low life criminals who committed this sickening crime and anyone with information should come forward.
“Offenders like these should face severe prison sentences as they are a danger to the public.”
- 1 Historic former pub with permission to convert into homes set for auction
- 2 Severe delays on major Suffolk route after crash
- 3 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 4 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 5 'Bonne Mania' made us all smile... it faded but we'll always have the memories
- 6 Gang who stole from Suffolk museum jailed for total of 74 years
- 7 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 8 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
- 9 Suspected speeder detained after car crashes into field
- 10 Plans to explore Dutch-style cycling network in Suffolk town
One of the suspects was described as white, aged between 25 and 30 years old, 5ft 6ins tall, of medium build, clean shaven with a round face.
He wore a black or dark blue woolly hat, black or dark blue zip-up jacket and dark coloured fingerless gloves.
The other three suspects were also white, wore balaclavas, dark clothing and were between 5ft 4ins and 6ft tall.
Two were of stocky build and one was of medium build.
Anyone with information should call Colchester CID on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.