Wivenhoe: Duke opens first hotel school
THE country’s first ever hotel school based in Wivenhoe has been given the Royal seal of approval.
His Royal Highness The Duke of Kent officially opened the newly-restored Wivenhoe House hotel, where degree-level students combine their studies with work in a commercial setting.
During his visit he met with students and staff and was given a tour by General Manager Stephen Mannock.
The Edge Hotel School at Wivenhoe House is a joint enterprise between the University of Essex, its academic partner Kaplan, and the Edge Foundation, where budding members of the hospitality industry will learn their profession from seasoned professionals.
Students take on a two-year degree in hotel and culinary management, and combine academic study with working in all areas of the hotel and restaurants.
The mayor of Colchester, the chairman of Essex County Council and Harwich and north Essex MP Bernard Jenkin were among 30 local dignitaries who also attended the event at the eighteenth century site, which was painted by John Constable.
The Duke unveiled a commemorative plaque, before having lunch in the hotel’s Signatures Restaurant, prepared by Executive Chef Paul Boorman.
- 1 Top food event set to provide showcase for more than 100 Suffolk producers
- 2 Andy's Angles: Five observations from Ipswich Town's win at Forest Green
- 3 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 4 Plans for former Dorothy Perkins store in Suffolk town withdrawn
- 5 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 6 Driver caught speeding at 94mph in 50 zone on A140 in mid Suffolk
- 7 See inside £715k mid Suffolk townhouse for sale after major revamp
- 8 Hunt for convicted murderer released on temporary licence in Ipswich
- 9 'A top team for League One' - Forest Green boss praises Town
- 10 Noise warning issued due to late night fighter jet training over airbase
Mr Mannock said: “We’ve had an amazing day. The Duke was very engaging and intrigued by the unique learning experience we offer our students here.
“There are many benefits here for students, for the industry and for Colchester.”