Woman critical after bike crash
A CRITICALLY injured woman motorcyclist was taken to hospital by air ambulance yesterday after taking part in a charity bike ride held to raise funds for the emergency helicopter service.
By Craig Robinson
A WOMAN motorcyclist died last night in hospital following an accident in which she was critically injured.
The crash happened on Sunday afternoon on the London-bound A12 at Kelvedon when the 36-year-old woman apparently lost control of her Suzuki motorbike and collided with the central reservation.
She had been taking part in the sixth Essex Air Ambulance Motorcycle Run, in which thousands of motorcyclists rode from Dunton to Harwich, raising money for the charity that funds the medical helicopter service.
The woman, who has not been named, was airlifted to Colchester General Hospital and was put on a life support machine, but she was pronounced dead at 6.45pm yesterday.
A 43-year-old male motorcyclist, from Chelmsford, and a 12-year-old boy pillion passenger, also from Chelmsford, on another bike were also hurt in the accident.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Two second-half goals inspire Town win
- 2 Two incidents of indecent exposure within 20 minutes in Suffolk village
- 3 The Unruly Pig in Suffolk is named best gastropub in the UK
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Swans prepare 'six-figure bid' for Fraser
- 5 Photographer secretly recorded couple in bedroom of his Suffolk holiday home
- 6 Man, 33, jailed for 10 years for child sex offences
- 7 Town skipper Morsy handed four-game ban after Accrington charge
- 8 Hot ticket for what could be a big night... AFC Wimbledon v Ipswich
- 9 Award-winning east Suffolk restaurant temporarily closes ahead of takeover
- 10 Town set to appeal Morsy's FA charge
They came off their bike at the same time. The man suffered injuries to his shoulder and ankle, while the boy had a bruised hip, but their injuries were not said to be serious.
Anyone with information about the accident should contact Pc Steve Burton, of Chelmsford traffic police, on 01245 452918.
n Two people were taken to hospital with serious injuries after being crushed while exchanging details at the side of a busy road following a minor collision.
The crash happened on the Ipswich-bound carriageway of the A12 near to the Witham North exit slip road at about 9.45am yesterday.
A 66-year-old woman, from Billericay, suffered severe lower leg injuries, a deep laceration to her thigh and a head injury, while an 81-year-old Clacton man had extensive lower leg injuries and possible head injuries.
Both were taken to Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford, for treatment and were in a serious, but stable condition yesterday.
The driver of the third car, a 63-year-old man from Benfleet, suffered shock and had to be stabilised at the scene before being taken to Broomfield Hospital, where he was said to be in a comfortable condition.