Woman killed in road smash
AN ELDERLY female motorist was killed in a horrific head-on smash last night – less than an hour before another crash left a child fighting for life.The first accident, which happened at 4.
AN ELDERLY female motorist was killed in a horrific head-on smash last night – less than an hour before another crash left a child fighting for life.
The first accident, which happened at 4.20pm on the A143 between Rickinghall and Wattisfield, saw a grey Renault Megane and a silver Peugeot 406 collide.
Firefighters from Ixworth, Bury St Edmunds and Elmswell were called to the scene to release the female casualty, who was having breathing difficulties.
She was then taken by ambulance to West Suffolk Hospital in Bury for treatment, but was pronounced dead.
You may also want to watch:
No details about the dead woman have been released, and it was not clear last night if she was from the local area.
The second serious accident happened at 5.12pm on the B1078 between Ringshall and Barking and again involved two cars.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 5 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 6 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
A black Ford Puma and a grey Skoda Octavia crashed, sending the Ford plunging into a ditch while the Skoda ended up in a field.
A nine-year-old child suffered life-threatening internal injuries in the smash, while two other people were also hurt.
All the casualties were taken to Ipswich Hospital for treatment. Both crashes saw the roads closed and diversions put in place.
Crash investigation officers last night launched inquiries into both accidents and were on scene collecting evidence.