Woman’s second drink-drive conviction after crashing into parked car in Hadleigh and driving off

Drink-driver in court

Drink-driver in court - Credit: PA

A woman has been disqualified from driving for four years following her second drink-drive conviction after crashing into a parked car in Hadleigh.

South East Suffolk Magistrates Court heard Samantha Kerridge, of Bear Street, Nayland, near Sudbury, drove off after the crash with her car’s airbag deployed and its hazard lights on.

At the time Kerridge was nearly three times the legal alcohol limit.

The 28-year-old pleaded guilty to drink-driving and failing to report an accident.

Prosecutor Colette Harper said the incident occurred at around 11.30pm on April 4. Police were called to an accident in Aldham Road, Hadleigh, during which a Ford Fiesta was reported to have hit a parked vehicle. It then left the scene.

You may also want to watch:

The court was told the female driver was traced to an address to Timperley Road and the vehicle involved in the crash was registered to Kerridge.

When she answered the door Kerridge was on the phone, appeared unsteady on her feet and was slurring her words.

Most Read

She initially told the police her name was Amanda, although when she was asked who she was on the phone to she also said ‘Amanda’ before telling an officer her name was Samantha.

Kerridge admitted she had been driving the Fiesta involved in the crash. The keys to the car were found in the front pocket of her jumper.

A breath test showed Kerridge had 99 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35mcgs.

Mrs Harper said Kerridge had a previous drink-drive conviction in 2007.

In mitigation the court heard Kerridge had not intended to drive after going to a pub with a friend.

She had previously been travelling in Australia, but when she returned it was apparent she had become unwell.

Shortly before the offence she had been prescribed medication for depression, which can have side effects of irrational behaviour.

While in the pub with her friend Kerridge became agitated and unsettled and got up to leave.

She had ordered a taxi, but then cancelled it.

In addition to her driving ban Kerridge was given fines totalling £1,100 and ordered to pay £85 costs and £80 to the victims’ fund.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus