Woodbridge man calls for more carbon monoxide alarms to be installed after family near-miss
- Credit: Archant
A Suffolk grandfather wants to encourage more people to buy carbon monoxide alarms after the devices potentially saved the lives of members of his family.
Patrick Kelly from Woodbridge says that relatives were lucky to survive after one of the devices alerted them to the presence of the poisonous gas in their home.
The family, which included three children all under the age of ten, went to A+E where the gas was found to be in their blood.
They have since been treated.
Now Mr Kelly wants to raise awareness of the devices and encourage more people to install them in their homes.
You may also want to watch:
“I called my granddaughter,” said Mr Kelly, “and she didn’t know what it was.
“I want to make people aware that they have to put this in.”
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 3 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 4 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 5 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 7 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 8 'There's something missing in this team' - Town fans on draw at Cambridge
- 9 North Stander: Nowhere near good enough at this stage of the season
- 10 Detective who trained generation of officers retires after 45 years
Mr Kelly believes that there is a particular need for the devices given the increasing number of people who are renting properties.
Currently private sector landlords only have to provide a carbon monoxide alarm in rooms containing solid fuel burning stoves, i.e. coal fires or wood burning stoves.
They then have to prove that the alarms are in working order at the start of each new tenancy.
This is in contrast to smoke alarms, one of which have to be installed on each storey of a property.
In Mr Kelly’s family’s case the carbon monoxide is thought to have come from a gas leak and so the landlord was under no legal obligation to have the carbon monoxide detector installed.
County councillor for Woodbridge, Caroline Page said: “I’m horrified that a potential tragedy could occur so easily and without warning.
“I’m very happy that nothing worse happened on this occasion.
“We must do everything we can to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide.
“As Patrick says a monoxide alarm is the price of four or five pints of beer.
“Look at the cost of that against your life and happiness!”
Councillor Matthew Hicks,is the Cabinet Member for environment, public protection and broadband for Suffolk County Council, he said: “Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service strongly encourage the use of Carbon Monoxide alarms in the home as they provide early warning of a potentially life threatening event.
“They should be tested weekly alongside smoke alarms to ensure they are working properly.”