Woodbridge: Suffolk FA investigating u-11s football match bust-up involving referee and spectator

Under-11s match called off after fracas

Under-11s match called off after fracas - Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto

The Suffolk FA is investigating the abandonment of an under-11s football match after the referee allegedly became involved in an altercation with a spectator.

The Division One match between Woodbridge Town U11s and Witnesham Wasps JBT U11s, at Melton playing fields in Woodbridge, was called off following the incident as some of the boys were apparently too distressed to play on.

It is claimed a fracas broke out around 15 minutes into the nine-a-side fixture, and started with a verbal altercation between a spectator and referee Glyn Dixon, who has played in goal for Woodbridge Town.

It is alleged an argument ensued after the spectator criticised Dixon’s refereeing.

Before long it is claimed the row descended into a face-to-face confrontation and punches were thrown.

The alleged incident took place just yards away from the two junior football teams, most of whose players are 10 years old. Two U12 teams were also playing nearby.

Several of the young players said they were too distressed to continue.

Most Read

Both Witnesham Wasps and Woodbridge Town clubs declined to comment about the allegations last night. However the chairman of Woodbridge Town, John Beecroft, said the matter was being investigated internally.

A source within Witnesham Wasps Football Club said: “We just hope that Woodbridge Football Club and the FA take the appropriate measures.

“I’ve got 12 sets of parents and they all feel very strongly about it.”

Meanwhile Suffolk FA told the EADT: “We are aware of the alleged incident and that this matter has been reported to the police.

“Because of the ongoing nature of this investigation we are unable to comment further at this stage.”

The South Suffolk Youth League has also said it is aware that an incident took place and will be investigating further.

However Suffolk Constabulary said that, while they had been made aware of the allegations, they cannot launch an investigation until a formal complaint is made.

Mr Dixon was contacted by the EADT last night but declined to comment.