‘It’s got that little bit of everything’ - Suffolk high street could be crowned Britain’s best
- Credit: Archant
A Suffolk riverside town is vying for the title of the “UK’s best high street” after impressing judges with its “outstanding” quality.
Woodbridge’s Thoroughfare has been short-listed for this year’s Great British High Street Awards, putting it in the running for a £15,000 prize.
The Suffolk entry is up against 25 other streets in the “Champion” awards category, which have been chosen by an independent panel of judges following a “rigorous” selection process. Contenders will now battle it out in a public vote, which makes 30% of the final scoring, and will then have to impress an expert panel to be crowned Britain’s best.
Choose Woodbrige, the town’s business and tourism association, submitted the entry for Thoroughfare, after research by awards sponsor Visa, revealed promising signs in the country’s high streets despite a challenging retail environment.
On a recent visit to Thoroughfare, shoppers were full of praise for the high street.
You may also want to watch:
One man said: “It’s brilliant, as you can see all around you; vibrant colourful and lots of different independent shops.”
Other comments praised the “wonderful” variety of shops, its “dog friendly” approach and its “beautiful” appearance. “It’s got that little bit of everything,” one woman commented.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 3 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 4 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 5 Man who built outbuildings and lake without permission fined £1,300
- 6 Snape Maltings launches two new restaurants with far-reaching river views
- 7 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 8 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 9 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 10 Historic East Anglian sailing barge to become floating bakery
High Streets Minister Jake Berry MP said: “Congratulations to Thoroughfare on being short-listed as one of the UK’s best high streets in this year’s Great British High Street Awards.
“The awards celebrate the great work that is being done to revive, adapt and diversify the nation’s high streets and the quality of entries this year has been outstanding. Over the next six weeks The Thoroughfare has the chance to impress an expert judging panel as they also battle it out in a public vote for the title of Britain’s best high street.”
“This is a great opportunity to show your support for the hard work going on in Thoroughfare so get voting.”
Visa’s Sundeep Kaur added: “The Thoroughfare is a fantastic example of a high street which has made huge strides in transforming itself to offer a range of different experiences for locals and visitors alike.”
The winning entries will be announced on November 15 at an awards ceremony in London.
Visit The Great British High Street to find out about the vote.