Worker suffers burns in cylinder drama
ROOFERS working in a Suffolk town had a lucky escape after a pressurised gas cylinder caught light over a busy jewellery shop.Goldsmiths at Bury St Edmunds Buttermarket was evacuated after builders repairing the roof were forced to call emergency services shortly before 3pm yesterday.
ROOFERS working in a Suffolk town had a lucky escape after a pressurised gas cylinder caught light over a busy jewellery shop.
Goldsmiths at Bury St Edmunds Buttermarket was evacuated after builders repairing the roof were forced to call emergency services shortly before 3pm yesterday.
Thanks to the quick response of two Bury fire crews, the cylinder did not explode and was cooled safely.
The two builders involved were not seriously injured by the intense fire which melted the surrounding roof felt and ventilation stacks.
You may also want to watch:
The fire comes as another blow for the shop which was broken into on Monday . The injured workers were repairing damage to the roof caused by the thieves who had also broken a back door down and stole jewellery worth thousands of pounds.
Jim Khan, sub officer in charge of the incident, said two crews called from Bury station immediately put out the fire and treated two workmen for minor burns to the hands and face.
- 1 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 2 Couple to bring 'family feel' to Sudbury pub
- 3 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 4 Suffolk man admits owning more than 25,000 indecent images of children
- 5 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 6 Missing 66-year-old woman found in field after search
- 7 Major delays tail back on to A12 after crash
- 8 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 9 'Anywhere I can help I will' - Peter Reid joins Town in consultancy role
- 10 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
“The cylinder could have exploded,” he said. “It has been allowed to cool for five minutes before being placed in a bath of water to cool for further half an hour before it can be removed and disposed of safely.”
Les Collins, 51, a builder from Birmingham, described how a kink in the hose to the gas cylinder had caused flames to gush from the valve.
“I tried to switch the cylinder off but I burnt my hand and then I tried to use a fire extinguisher on it,” he said.
“I was concerned - they are dangerous bottles but we were lucky the fire brigade got here quickly. We were relieved when we saw them arrive.”
Mr Collins' hand was treated with a cooling gel pack and neither men required hospital treatment.
A spokesman for Suffolk police said the break-in had happened between 9.30pm and 11.15pm on March 13 and appealed for witnesses to come forward.
Anybody who saw anybody acting suspiciously in the area or is offered jewellery in suspicious circumstances should contact Bury police station on 01284 774100 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.