Youth locked up after burger bar brawl

A YOUTH who attacked a group of police officers outside a fast food restaurant is todaystarting a custodial sentence.The 16-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was given a six-month detention and training order when he appeared at Bury St Edmunds Youth Court yesterday.

A YOUTH who attacked a group of police officers outside a fast food restaurant is todaystarting a custodial sentence.

The 16-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was given a six-month detention and training order when he appeared at Bury St Edmunds Youth Court yesterday.

Magistrates said they had no choice but to sentence the youngster to a detention and training order– half of which will be served in the community.

Police welcomed the sentence after the youth, from a village near Bury, attacked two police officers and a special constable outside the Burger King restaurant on October 28.


You may also want to watch:


The court heard Suffolk police officers had been called after staff reported a group of youngsters were causing a disturbance inside the premises on the Buttermarket.

The police asked the group to leave and one officer, Pc Robert Bunton , stood by the entrance trying to keep the youths outside.

Most Read

Clare Forsdike, prosecuting, said at one stage Pc Bunton had to push the defendant to stop him from entering the premises.

She said: "Pc Bunton was given numerous headbutts and punches in a frenzied attack. Another officer, Pc Rebecca Parish realised her colleague was being assaulted but was elbowed."

A special constable was also kicked in the knee by the youth who was only stopped by CS gas and help from doormen at a nearby nightclub.

Pc Bunton sustained swelling and bruising to his eye as a result of the attack, which took place at about 9.25pm.

The youth had admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm, committing an assault with the intent to resist arrest, assault on a police officer and obstructing or resisting a constable, at an earlier hearing.

Claire Lockwood, mitigating, said the defendant claimed he was provoked by the police officer but felt remorseful about the subsequent attack, which was captured on CCTV cameras.

She said: "He claims he was provoked but he is not trying to take away any responsibility from his actions. He has shown great remorse and the video has come as quite a shock to him."

Miss Lockwood said alcohol did play a part in the attack and that her defendant was not a violent person.

Speaking prior to the sentence, the youth told magistrates: "Watching the video was quite shocking and it was almost like a completely different person as I never usually act like that.

"I am very sorry for what I did and the harm that I have caused the police officers."

After the sentence, Insp Les King, patrol inspector for Bury St Edmunds, said: "This was a particularly nasty and unprovoked attack on officers carrying out their duties.

"As officers of the law, we have a duty to protect members of the public and we expect that anyone who attacks an officer be dealt with appropriately by the courts.

Mr King added: "All of my officers who attended this incident dealt with the matter in an extremely professional and controlled manner.

"My praise goes especially to these two people for helping the officers and it is refreshing to see we still have such people who are prepared to be involved and support their local police."

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter