Yoxford: Plucky underdogs claim unlikely victory
- Credit: Archant
WHEN this team of plucky outsiders took to the court, few expected them to challenge their hotly-tipped opponents for victory.
But the team from tiny Yoxford Primary School shrugged off their “longshot” label to triumph against the odds.
Chosen from a register of just 54 pupils, the dark horses dribbled and dunked their way past teams from schools four times the size in the Leiston pyramid to be crowned Under 11 Champions.
Bursting into the competition with an 18-0 win, they went on to claim unlikely victories in their next two matches before netting the final at Leiston Leisure Centre.
In the lead up to the tournament, the children got some valuable training from Alde Valley School PE teacher Danny Laws and two of his student sports leaders.
You may also want to watch:
Yoxford Primary’s deputy head teacher, Sam Cutler said: “They beat the giants and we’re very proud.
“We think it’s important to give children lots of encouragement across the curriculum - particularly in PE.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 3 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 4 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 5 Woman's body found in village home
- 6 WATCH: Rude graffiti highlights 'huge' potholes
- 7 Wigan kitman Craney given Town coaching role by Cook
- 8 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 9 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 10 'It's been a strange few days' - Skuse gives emotional exit interview
“It builds self-esteem, teaches us lessons about fairness and develops life skills.
“They are given lots of different options because not everyone is suited to the same sport.”
With one sporting title already in the bag, Yoxford Primary still has competitions in hockey and ruby to have a crack at in the next few weeks.