Yoxford kicks off Royal Wedding celebrations with afternoon tea party
- Credit: Archant
Yoxford began the party for the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle with an afternoon tea party at the village hall.
Villagers were joined by eight youngsters from Yoxford and Peasenhall Primary School with the event being timed to coincide with the school’s annual summer fete.
The pupils were introduced to those gathered at the hall as members of the royal family with year 4 pupil Rosie playing the role of the queen.
Rosie said: “It was exciting to go represent the school.
“It was fun when we got there as we got to play different members of the Royal Family.”
You may also want to watch:
“It was scary at first,” said year 4 student Tilly, “because there were people cheering us when we entered the room.”
The pupils sat and spoke with members of the community in the hall whilst tucking in to enjoy some specially themed food and drink.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 5 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk
Year 3 pupil Tyler said: “I felt nervous to begin with as we were sitting on the top table but then the kindness of the village hall made us relaxed and welcomed.”
With year 3 student Poppy adding: “I enjoyed the afternoon as I got to meet different people from the community.”
The party was held both to celebrate the upcoming nuptials but also to raise money for Yoxford Village Hall.
Janet Tibbit helped to organise the event: “I think the children enjoyed it.
“They had lots of food. There was lots of cake and sandwiches. The people who came enjoyed themselves.
A wedding-themed raffle was held on the day to help increase the fundraising for the village hall.
“We had a lovely raffle with a two tier wedding cake and a bottle of prosecco.”
“We didn’t celebrate the last royal wedding so we thought we would do this one.”
Senior teacher at Yoxford and Peasenhall Primary School, Simon Spillings, said: “It was a pleasure to be able to plan an event to celebrate the Royal Wedding with the local Village Hall and to work alongside them.
“I look forward to working with them again in the future to plan more wonderful opportunities to benefit the young children we teach here at Yoxford and Peasenhall Primary School.”