10-man U’s show character to earn precious point
Hartlepool United 0 Colchester United 0
TEN-man Colchester United defended like tigers to earn a precious point at lowly Hartlepool United tonight.
Jabo Ibehre was sent off for serious foul play, in the last minute of the first half, leaving the U’s with a mammoth task to hold on for a goalless draw during a backs-to-the-wall second period.
Sam Walker made several key saves, including a marvellous fingertip save to push Jonathan Frank’s rising shot onto his bar in the 70th minute.
But the Chelsea loanee was also well protected by his defence, and the gutsy U’s certainly deserved to hold on for a point.
You may also want to watch:
It was only the U’s second draw since Joe Dunne took over the managerial reins, in 30 games. The only other draw had been a 2-2 scoreline at Shrewsbury, way back on October 27.
And it was also the Essex club’s third clean-sheet on the bounce, pulling them a point further away from the relegation zone.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 2 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 3 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 4 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 5 Two people injured after car flips over in east Suffolk
- 6 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
- 7 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 8 Returning fans, new faces and a visit from Premier League royalty - Town face Crystal Palace as pre-season moves up a gear
- 9 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 10 Restraining order for venue boss who intimidated council leader's daughter
Ibehre was flashed the red card, by referee Geoff Eltringham, for a high and rather reckless challenge on Pools right-back, Neil Austin, near the touch-line.
It was certainly an unnecessary lunge, but there didn’t appear to be any malice on the part of the U’s striker.
Even so, Ibehre is now facing up to a three-match suspension, and he left his.team-mates with a huge workload during the whole of the second half.
Thankfully, it was one they relished.
Manager Dunne will also be appealing Ibehre’s red card, before this Saturday’s home game against Crewe.
HARTLEOOL: Flinders, Austin, Collins, Hartley, Horwood, Walton (sub Sweeney, 90+2), Baldwin (sub Luscombe, 31), Humphreys, Franks (sub Howard, 80), Poole, Wyke. Unused subs: Monkhouse, Holden, James, McHugh.
COLCHESTER: Walker, Wilson, Okuonghae, Eastman, Garmston, Porter (sub Thompson, 75), Clifford (sub White, 81), Bond, Massey, Morrison (sub Ladapo, 66), Ibere. Unused subs: David Wright, Bean, Compton, Cousins.
Referee: Geoff Eltringham (County Durham)