Ipswich Town fell just short in their bid for the League One title as they were held 2-2 by Fleetwood on the final day. 

The Blues had already made sure of their place in the Championship heading into the match at Highbury Stadium, but the destiny of the trophy lay in the hands of Plymouth as they faced Port Vale. 

And Argyle held serve, coming from behind to win their final match of the season, meaning the title heads to Home Park. 

Town dropping points against the Cod Army meant Town also fell short of the 100-point mark, though they did reach their century of goals in their final League One game after four long years. 

East Anglian Daily Times: Freddie Ladapo opened the scoring at Fleetwood TownFreddie Ladapo opened the scoring at Fleetwood Town (Image: Pagepix)

Freddie Ladapo gave Ipswich the lead (50) before former Town striker Jack Marriott flipped the game on its head with strikes in the 57th and 69th minutes, with Marcus Harness scoring the final goal of a brilliant Blues season to level matters on 73. 

The Ipswich players remained on the pitch to celebrate with their supporters at full-time, ahead of another celebration in Christchurch Park on Monday, marking a stunning season which sees the Blues return to the Championship. 

Manager Kieran McKenna made two changes to their side for their potential title-clinching clash. 

Captain Sam Morsy missed out after picking up a knock in training late in the week, with Dominic Ball taking his place in the starting XI and Christian Walton taking the captain’s armband. 

East Anglian Daily Times: Nathan Broadhead, pictured in action at Fleetwood TownNathan Broadhead, pictured in action at Fleetwood Town (Image: Pagepix)

The other change saw Harry Clarke drop to the bench and Janoi Donacien start against his former club. 

That meant Walton started in goal with Donacien, Luke Woolfenden, Cameron Burgess and Leif Davis making up the back four. 

Ball and Massimo Luongo were in midfield, with Wes Burns, Conor Chaplin and Nathan Broadhead behind striker George Hirst. 

Chaplin, in search of the Golden Boot, had a shot inside the opening minute as Town’s free-kick was only partially cleared, before the No.10 lashed a volley wide. 

There was an early encouragement from elsewhere, too, with Port Vale taking an early lead against Plymouth in the battle for the League One title. 

East Anglian Daily Times: Marcus Harness scored Ipswich Town's final goal of the seasonMarcus Harness scored Ipswich Town's final goal of the season (Image: Pagepix Ltd)

Ipswich needed to look over their shoulder, though, with Donacien getting away with a slack backpass before another passage of Fleetwood pressure ended with Walton needing to sharply save to deny Phoenix Patterson. 

Town couldn’t find their flow during a game lacking their usually intensity, but began to get on top of a tight game in the moments before Davis’s cross from the left was headed wide by Ladapo. 

Argyle flipped their game at Port Vale on its head to lead before the break, with Town having two more opportunity before half-time as first a flashed Burns ball across the box, following a clever touch from Ladapo, just evaded the outstretched foot of Chaplin. Then, when Ball played forward nicely, Broadhead latched onto it and fired over the top. 

Chaplin, still searching for a goal, fired wide from the edge of the area to start the second half, with Town soon hitting their century in the goals column. 

East Anglian Daily Times: Janoi Donacien, pictured in action for Ipswich Town at FleetwoodJanoi Donacien, pictured in action for Ipswich Town at Fleetwood (Image: Pagepix)

Ladapo got it, taking a touch and holding off Brendan Wiredu before unleashing a thumping shot which crashed in off the woodwork. 

The advantage didn’t last long though, with a low ball from the right causing trouble in the Town box, before Marriott managed to poke the ball home with every Ipswich attendee on the floor trying to keep the scramble out. 

Marriott added his second to give the hosts the lead, heading home at the back post after a corner had been flicked on, but the home advantage lasted just four minutes, before Harness latched onto a blocked Chaplin shot well and angled his effort back into the corner to level matters. 

The afternoon ended with substitute Harry Clarke being shown a red card after picking up two bookings, as the Blues stay in the third tier came to an end. 

Walton ends the season with the Golden Glove, while Chaplin and Peterborough's Jonson Clarke-Harris both finish on 26 goals after the latter netted in their final day game at Barnsley.

Fleetwood Town: Lynch; Rooney, Wiredu, Holgate (Teale, 69), Johnston; Vela, Warrington (Glenfield, 87); Omechere (Quitirna, 83), Mendes-Gomes (White 69), Patterson (Hayes, 87); Marriott 

Subs: McMullan, Johnson 

Ipswich Town: Walton; Donacien (Clarke, 65), Woolfenden, Burgess, Davis (Edwards, 81); Ball, Luongo; Burns (Jackson, 81), Chaplin, Broadhead (Harness, 65); Hirst (Ladapo, 18) 

Subs: Hladky, Keogh