Leiston skipper Seb Dunbar is confident the Blues can get their home Southern League season up and running with a big performance against AFC Telford at Victory Road on Saturday afternoon (3pm).

The Blues were beaten in their opening clash of the season last week when, despite a Jamar Loza goal, the Suffolk side went down 1-2 to Halesowen Town.

AFC Telford, relegated from National North last season, will be a big test for the skipper and his team-mates. But it’s a test he believes they can come through.

"Telford will be a tough game,” Dunbar, who has made more than 350 appearances for the Blues, said.

"They will have a large away following but then again, I think it’s a good game for us so early on. It will show where we are at currently, as they are one of the favourites for promotion.

"But we were good at getting big results against the better sides last year.”

East Anglian Daily Times: Jamar Loza netted in Leiston's defeat at HalesowenJamar Loza netted in Leiston's defeat at Halesowen (Image: Leiston FC)

Leiston’s defeat at Halesowen was only the second time Leiston have lost on the first day of a campaign in what is now their 12th season as a Step 3 side. This after a successful pre-season.

"We looked sharp in pre-season and passed the ball around well, although with all due respect the sides we played against none were at the level we normally come up against," Dunbar said.

"Last week’s game at Halesowen was a hard game first up. It was always going to be difficult with new players coming in.

"I felt over the 90 minutes they were hungrier than us, but we know where we are as a squad right now, and we know where we want to be.

"We have experience and young players in the group and that will stand us in good stead going forward.”

AFC Telford opened their league season with a comfortable 3-0 victory over Royston Town, in front of more than 1,000 fans.

This will be the two sides' first-ever meeting in the league, although they did meet in an FA Cup third round qualifying game back in October 2020 when, after a goalless 120 minutes, Leiston won the penalty shoot-out 9-8.