Ipswich Town Women kicked off their Women's National League Cup campaign with a 4-2 victory over Billericay Town in the determining round at the AGL Arena in Felixstowe this  afternoon.

Manager Joe Sheehan went for a changed starting 11, with Maisy Barker, Maria Boswell and Sophie Peskett dropping to the bench after playing in the side's win against Cardiff City on the first day of the season.

The match saw a senior debut handed to 16-year-old Erin Williams.

Former Town striker Maddie Biggs started for Billericay after leaving the club in the summer.

East Anglian Daily Times: Billericay Town players celebrating after the penalty was converted.Billericay Town players celebrating after the penalty was converted. (Image: Ross Halls)

Ipswich pressed early on, forcing a few good saves out of the Billericay goalkeeper, denying Natasha Thomas and Megan Wearing from close range.

A penalty was awarded to Billericay in the 12th minute after a mistake at the back from goalkeeper Poppy Soper gifted the ball to Sealey for Billericay who was fouled by Nia Evans.

The penalty was converted by Lucy Jones who placed her penalty low to Soper's right.

East Anglian Daily Times: Summer Hughes converting the equaliser for Town.Summer Hughes converting the equaliser for Town. (Image: Ross Halls)

Town had better chances following the goal, leading to an equaliser from Summer Hughes after the ball broke to her on the edge of the six-yard box in the 32nd minute.

Billericay got their second in the 55th minute, taking the lead through Jay Blackie who headed the ball in the back of the net after the initial shot was saved by Soper.

After this, Town looked a different side, running at the opposition, passing it around well, being patient on the ball, and waiting for an opening.

The Tractor Girls should have had a penalty just after, as Kyra Robertson went over in the box, but after a discussion with the linesman, the referee awarded a free kick on the edge of the box, resulting in the ball going out of play.

East Anglian Daily Times: Natasha Thomas' goal took the lead for TownNatasha Thomas' goal took the lead for Town (Image: Ross Halls)

Hughes got her second of the game and equalised in the 71st minute after some good build-up play before Horwood pulled it back for Hughes who finished well to the keepers right.

Town took the lead just minutes later, as Thomas beat the defenders for pace following a great through ball from Peskett.

Town went 4-2 up following a direct run from Peskett who tried her luck from range, the ball taking a huge deflection and looping over the goalkeeper's head.

Town now progress to the next round of the FA Women's National League Cup.

Town starting XI: Soper, Hughes, Horwood (C), Mitchell, Thomas, Robertson, Evans, Wearing, Williams, Smith, (Peskett,72) Williams.

Subs: Hartley, Boswell, Turner, Peskett, Barker

East Anglian Daily Times: Hughes celebrating her second of the gameHughes celebrating her second of the game (Image: Ross Halls)