Ipswich Town maintained their impressive home record with a 2-1 win against Coventry City, extending their unbeaten run at Portman Road to eight Championship games.

The Blues were fired into a two-goal lead thanks to goals from George Hirst and Wes Burns, with Brandon Williams' stoppage-time own-goal coming too late for their opponents to make a comeback.

Town made a fast start, although their early attacks lacked the finishing touch. When they got into good positions, Coventry were quick to close them down, albeit that the hosts were clearly on top from the off.

East Anglian Daily Times: George Hirst fired the Blues into an early lead at Portman RoadGeorge Hirst fired the Blues into an early lead at Portman Road (Image: Steve Waller)

Their dominance paid off in the six minutes as the Sky Blues’ back line parted, allowing Nathan Broadhead to play Hirst clean through on goal. The striker used his strength to ease past Liam Kitching before slotting a low shot past Brad Collins to make it 1-0 in the sixth minute.

They were quick to push for a second, although the visitors did well to nullify them. They were totally caught out in the 15th minute, however, as a lobbed ball from Harry Clarke flew over everyone, landing at the feet of Broadhead. The Wales international was played clean through on goal, but inexplicably fired wide of the target.

Finding a way through Coventry’s defence proved difficult. Their recent switch to become counterattacking side meant that they pushed men back when off the ball, which was the case for much of the game. Ipswich struggled to pick a way through, although Wes Burns’ long-range effort in the 25th minute almost caught Collins out.

East Anglian Daily Times: Wes Burns' strike will be one of Town's many Goal of the Season contendersWes Burns' strike will be one of Town's many Goal of the Season contenders (Image: Steve Waller)

Broadhead was involved seconds later after Burns won a free-kick down the right, heading wide from the centre of the box.

Mark Robins’ men had their moments. An impressive effort from Brighton loanee Yasin Ayari stung the palms of Vaclav Hladky on the half-hour mark, although it was their first shot on target of the entire game.

They started to turn the screw and frustrate Ipswich, eventually finding the back of the net eight minutes before the half-time break, although Haji Wright’s header was disallowed for offside.

East Anglian Daily Times: Burns' stunning goal gave Town a two-goal lead at half-timeBurns' stunning goal gave Town a two-goal lead at half-time (Image: PA Images)

A booking for Massimo Luongo – his fifth of the season, thus earning him a suspension for next week’s trip to Middlesbrough – soured the move further. Burns, however, was having none of it, picking up the ball on the edge of the area before curling an astonishing effort into the back of the net with the outside of his boot to make it 2-0 in the 41st minute.

A two-goal lead for Town felt harsh on Coventry, but it was exactly what Kieran McKenna’s side needed. The fact it was yet another Goal of the Season contender made it even sweeter.

Three changes at half-time rejuvinated Coventry, but they still lacked any real cutting edge to cause Ipswich problems at the back. Up the other end of the pitch, a foul on Broadhead presented Chaplin with a chance to shoot in the 55th minute, but his free-kick cannoned off a defender as referee Andrew Kitchen dismissed any shouts for handball.

East Anglian Daily Times: Matty Godden couldn't convert from the spot to half the deficit for CoventryMatty Godden couldn't convert from the spot to half the deficit for Coventry (Image: Steve Waller)

The tempo of the match seemed to fizzle out, with the odd shot threatening to hit the target. Harry Clarke took aim shortly after the hour-mark, firing narrowly wide from distance.

The visitors were given a lifeline to get back into the game in the 73rd minute, however, as Clarke lunged in on substitute Tatsuhiro Sakamoto inside the box. Matty Godden, who also came on at half-time, was chosen to step up, but his powerful spot-kick rattled the crossbar before Town cleared the danger.

Williams was brought on shortly after, picking up a yellow card that will see him suspended alongside Massimo Luongo for next week's trip to Middlesbrough. He was then credited with a late own goal after the Sky Blues swung a cross into the box, although it was too late for them to manage a comeback.

Town XI: 4-2-3-1: Hladky; Clarke (Williams 77'), Woolfenden, Burgess, Davis; Morsy, Luongo; Burns (Hutchinson 64'), Chaplin (Taylor 77'), Broadhead (Harness 64'); Hirst (Jackson 85')

Coventry XI: 4-2-3-1: Collins; Van Ewijk, Thomas, Kitching, Bidwell; Sheaf, Eccles (Latibeaudiere 46'); Ayari (Sakamoto 46'), O’Hare (Dasilva 73'), Allen (Godden 46'); Wright (Simms 73')

Attendance: 29,307 (1,970 away)