Aldershot boss believes former Ipswich man McDonnell can make it in the Championship
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Aldershot manager Gary Waddock believes Adam McDonnell can make it in the Championship after signing the Irish midfielder from Ipswich Town.
The 20-year-old completed a permanent switch to the National League promotion chasers last week, having enjoyed a hugely productive loan spell at the start of the season, and made a scoring return as he netted in the Shots’ victory at Leyton Orient at the weekend.
He played just twice in the Championship during his time with the Blues, but Waddock believes the Irishman has a chance to work his way back to the second tier.
“Adam had a very good relationship with the players and the supporters, and I think sometimes when players have a taste of a club they want to come back and we were lucky to get him back because he’s a good player,” Waddock said in an interview with Get Surrey.
“He knows the club and knows the players and I think when he went back to Ipswich he missed them as well. He is still developing as a player so there’s no reason why he can’t eventually go back up the leagues to where he’s come from.
“We signed him on a free and it gives us more competition in that midfield area. We have some good players in there anyway.
You may also want to watch:
“He brings something different and he’s left-footed as well, so that gives us some balance in there.”
McDonnell left the Blues on a free transfer, with manager Mick McCarthy insisting the decision was made in the best interests of the player, allowing him to secure a deal prior to the summer. The Blues included a sell-on clause as part of the deal.
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 3 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 4 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 5 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 6 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 7 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
- 8 New plans for village cafe, shop and business units divide opinion
- 9 WATCH: Ever Given docks at Felixstowe after four-month delay
George Fowler has also joined Aldershot on a similar deal, with both players signing 18-month deals.