AFC Sudbury clinch dramatic extra-time win over Rocks in FA Cup replay

Billy Holland, who gave AFC Sudbury an early lead in a thrilling FA Cup replay at home to Bognor Reg

Billy Holland, who gave AFC Sudbury an early lead in a thrilling FA Cup replay at home to Bognor Regis Town. Picture: CLIVE PEARSON - Credit: Archant

AFC Sudbury 3 Bognor Regis Town 2 (aet)

AFC Sudbury won a dramatic FA Cup second qualifying round replay at home to Bognor Regis Town, following extra-time at King’s Marsh tonight.

The Suffolk side, who had done so well to draw 1-1 at Nyewood Lane on Saturday, against a team from a higher division (Bostik Premier), looked to be heading out of the competition when trailing 2-1 going into the final few minutes of normal time.

Billy Holland had given them an early lead, only for goals from Jimmy Muitt (54) and Harvey Whyte (59) to put the Rocks in control.

However, Joe Whight netted an 88th minute equaliser from a free-kick, before substitute Mekhi McKenzie scored the winner in the fifth minute of extra-time.

You may also want to watch:

Mark Morsley’s men will now play away at Haringey Borough in the third qualifying round.

Bognor started brightly and Mason Walsh’s shot was turned around the post by keeper Paul Walker after just two minutes.

Most Read

But Sudbury struck with the opening goal, via Holland’s fine finish in the 10th minute. Holland flicked home a free-kick by Callum Harrison.

Otherwise, the hosts had to defend manfully for much of the rest of the first period, which they achieved while the Rocks regularly peppered the target.

Muitt headed narrowly over, having earlier sliced a shot wide, and Bradley Letheridge spurned a gilt-edged chance to grab the equaliser on 38 minutes. The Rocks’ No. 9 blasted the ball over the bar with the goal beckoning.

Five minutes into the second half and Walker was at his best to keep out a header by Whyte from a corner routine. But the visitors did level in the 54th minute, Muitt meeting Walsh’s cross with a header that dropped into the opposite corner of the net.

Sudbury were on the rack and they fell behind just five minutes later. Walker kept out Calvin Davies’ shot but could not hold onto the ball, and Whyte tucked home the rebound.

The Sussex side had several chances to add to their lead, but Sudbury grabbed an 88th minute equaliser to send the tie into extra-time, Whight’s rising free-kick cannoning in off the under-side of the bar, the ball just crossing the line. And McKenzie notched an extra-time winner.

Meanwhile, Needham Market were beaten 3-2 at home by Met Police in tonight’s second qualifying round replay at Bloomfields. The start was delayed by floodlight failure.

The Marketmen were 2-0 up through Luke Ingram’s ninth minute header and Reece Robson’s fine strike on 27 minutes, but goals from Ethan Chislett (30) and Jack Mazzone (70) forced extra-time, with Jonathan Hippolyte (93) winning it for the visitors.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter