Alan Devonshire laments Jai Reason dismissal after Braintree Town’s 3-0 defeat
The game was effectively over for the hosts when Jai Reason was sent off for violent conduct on 32 minutes and the Iron succumbed to second-half goals from Luke Williams (2) and Tom Collins.
The Iron missed a good chance on 21 minutes when Ben Wright capitalised on a mix up in the visitors’ box but Jamie Beasant saved well.
After three red cards in their previous four games, Braintee’s disciplinary woes worsened when Reason was given a straight red card on 32 minutes by referee Carl Berry.
Reason and Mark Bentley went in half-hearted in the latest of a series of niggly challenges and when Bentley appeared to aim a stamp at the winger’s foot, the former Ipswich man reacted angrily putting his hand up to his opponent’s face.
Hayes put the game beyond the hosts’ reach with two quick fire goals. First, from a Braintree corner Williams scored on 55 minutes, before Collins made it two on 63 minutes blasting home from 25 yards. Williams netted a third on 88 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
After the game, Iron manager Alan Devonshire blasted Reason but denied his side had a disciplinary problem.
“It was stupid and he let us down. These boys have got to grow up and they have been naive but that was just stupid. I have no qualms with the sending off,” he said.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 6 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 7 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 8 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 9 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 10 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
“The suspensions are hurting us but I think Kettering have had about 10 red cards so I don’t think we are the worst in the league.”