Ambrose misses out
DARREN Ambrose has missed out on his first taste of Champions' League football, because he didn't answer his phone, writes Derek Davis.Newcastle United boss Sir Bobby Robson tried to contact the former Ipswich Town favourite after Hugo Viani was forced to pull out of the trip to Belgrade with a back spasm.
DARREN Ambrose has missed out on his first taste of Champions' League football, because he didn't answer his phone, writes Derek Davis.
Newcastle United boss Sir Bobby Robson tried to contact the former Ipswich Town favourite after Hugo Viani was forced to pull out of the trip to Belgrade with a back spasm.
The Toon manager first tried to bring in Clarence Acuna only to find out he had an Achilles injury. He then called Ambrose to join the squad but as he has only just recovered from injury and had already been told he was not required, the England under-21 winger had gone out and left his mobile phone at home.
Robson said: "It would have been a great experience for the lad but he didn't answer his phone, so it is his hard luck. He called me back in the end but by then it was too late. He is still not fully fit, but he is not too far away."
You may also want to watch:
Robson even tried to include former Colchester United star Lomana Lua Lua but his visa had not arrived in time, so the Magpies finally drafted in Robbie Elliott.
Newcastle will face a hostile crowd at Partisan Belgrade tonight but that will not bother experienced former England captain Alan Shearer who celebrates his 33rd birthday today.
- 1 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 2 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 3 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 6 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 7 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
- 8 Tourists turn to inland Suffolk as coast books up
- 9 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
- 10 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe