Another successful year for Newton Green ladies on the golfing circuit
- Credit: Archant
At the recent Newton Green Ladies’ AGM, outgoing ladies’ captain, Sally Cade, thanked her committee and members for all their support over the club’s 110th year.
She enjoyed being involved in the decisions on the refurbishment of the clubhouse and reported that the ladies’ section raised just over £1,100 for the club captains’ charity, the Kernos Centre.
Incoming captain, Rebecca Evans, said the big drive would be to raise money needed to alter the ladies’ changing room.
The ladies were in the forefront of the running of the club as a whole and were delighted that Dora George had been asked to become a vice president.
The club captains’ charity for the year would be the Jude Brady Foundation, whose aim is to raise awareness of stillbirth and neonatal deaths in the UK.
You may also want to watch:
Officers, Captain – Rebecca Evans. Vice-captain –Lizzie Johnson. Secretary – Di Cunningham. Treasurer – Sue Lockwood.
Trophies were awarded for 2016 with Sue Lockwood named ‘Lady Golfer of the Year.’ Shed also won the England Golf medal for the best four medal rounds throughout the year.
- 1 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 6 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 7 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 8 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 9 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 10 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
Other awards (included):
Newton Copper Winter 9 hole Eclectic – Adrienne Hughes; Margaret Murray Salver – Cate Fraser; Summer 9 hole Eclectic – Cate Fraser; Newton Copper Summer 9 hole Eclectic – Jenny Wilkins; Nell Joshua – Tibby Mimpriss.
Winter Pairs (League) – Lizzie Johnson & Sue Lockwood; Winter Plate (League runners-up) – Di Cunningham & Rebecca Evans; Summer League – Di Cunningham & Rebecca Evans; Summer League plate – Jan Doe & Janet Sparks; Grandmother’s Trophy – Vivien Lister.
3 Clubs & Putter – Glenys Grove; Barlow Cup – Sue Thurgate; Silver Challenge Cup – Lizzie Johnson; Presidents Plate – Vivien Lister; Mabel Oliver Cup – Lizzie Johnson; Unis Drake Trophy – Jill Symonds & Sally Cade; Centenary Bowl – Sally Cade & Sue Thurgate; Putting Prize – Sally Cade.
Earl Howe – Alice Barlow; Runner-up medal – Margaret Hills; Salcombe Trophy – Adrienne Hughes; Medal Final – Leighann Wordley; Stableford Final – Lizzie Johnson. Ann Tankard Trophy for Club C/ship (Scratch) – Alice Barlow; Emmie Hoar Cup For Club Championship (Net) – Sally Cade; EWGA Medal – Sue Lockwood; Lady Golfer of the Year – Sue Lockwood.