Another wretched afternoon for Glenn Driver’s side as Leiston lose their third game on the bounce
- Credit: Archant
RYMAN PREMIER LEAGUE Leiston 1 Wingate & Finchley 2
This, Leiston’s third successive defeat, has severely dented their title aspirations and on this present form will jeopardize their play-off credentials too.
One point from 15 saw them slip to sixth place overtaken by their North London rivals who also completed a notable double on a bleak afternoon.
Apart from the league’s leading scorer Matt Blake testing visiting custodian Shane Gore in the first minute and then Niko Muir shooting over, the home side were largely sluggish and far too tentative to present a threat to the visitors.
However, Muir struck a fierce shot on the run that Gore saved while Gareth Heath produced a sublime ball into the path of Blake whose subsequent effort was well blocked by the ‘keeper. At the other end ‘keeper Nick Eyre, recalled to the side after a long lay off, made a comfortable save to deny Ben Pattie.
You may also want to watch:
Leiston marginally improved after the restart with wing backs Ollie Brown and Seb Dunbar showing prominence but it took a superb tackle from Tom Bullard to thwart Reece Beccles – Richards.
Muir released a fine ball in the channel to Blake whose effort was just wide and then Heath played in Brown whose cross was cut out by Gore.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 4 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 5 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 6 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 7 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast
- 8 £1m renovation on Suffolk castle will change the appearance
- 9 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 10 Familiar faces galore, 'Chequebook FC' and the start of something big? - Town head to Portsmouth
The visitors were containing the dual threat of Blake and Muir with some ease and then went in front in the 69th minute. A poor clearance from Eyre went straight to Beccles – Richards who with time and plenty of space crossed to the unmarked Ben Pattie who drilled the ball home.
They added a second in the 84th minute when Walter Figueira set up Tom Tejan – Sie who from the edge of the box fired home across the despairing dive of Eyre and although Joe Francis pulled a goal back deep into injury time this proved academic and a wretched afternoon for Glenn Driver’s side, who entertain Merstham at Victory Road tomorrow night.
Leiston – Eyre, Brown (Hubble 71st), Dunbar (Brothers 80), Hutchings, Jefford, Bullard, Lawrence, Heath, Blake, Muir, Francis. Subs Not Used – Ainsley, Cole, Marsden.
Wingate & Finchley – Gore, Ifel, Abrahams, Vitcu (Sharpe 73rd), Cronin, Rifat, Laney, McCall, Pattie (Figueira 80th) Beccles – Richards, Tejan – Sie. Subs Not Used – Wales, Obafemi,
Referee: Carl Pearce