Anthony Ogogo progresses to European semi-finals
Anthony Ogogo is now just one win from guaranteeing his place at this summer’s OIympics in London, after a gruelling points win in Turkey last night.
The 23-year-old from Lowestoft defeated Georgian Jaba Khositashvili on countback after the pair drew 14-14 and will take on Belarus’ Vitali Bandarenka in the semi-finals tomorrow (5.30pm BST).
Ogogo’s coach, John Cremin, said: “What a tough bout. He was 12-6 down going into last round but pulled it back to win on count back. The Georgian was as tough as anything, proper hard as nails, so Anthony did fantastically. To pull it back from 12-6 down was amazing.
“I’m over the moon for him and he’s in the semi-final now. It will be another tough bout with the Belarussian.”
The Eastern European boxer saw off the challenge of Estonia’s Kaupo Arro, 16-9.
You may also want to watch:
Bandarenka beat Frenchman Rashid Hamani, who sparred with Ogogo recently, in his first bout and stands in the way of the Englishman and a place in the final and the Games.
Ogogo beat Macedonian Fatlum Zuta 18-5 in his first contest in the last 16 of the middleweight category.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 3 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 7 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 8 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 9 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 10 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village