Anthony Ogogo tipped for global stardom
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
Suffolk boxer Anthony Ogogo has been tipped for global stardom ahead of his debut in the fight capital of the world next month.
Lowestoft-born middleweight Ogogo will do battle on the undercard of Floyd Mayweather Junior’s gigantic Las Vegas clash with Saul “Canelo” Alvarez at the MGM Grand on September 14.
The two unbeaten superstars clash in a fight that is expected to break all box office records.
And according to Golden Boy promotions’ CEO Richard Schaefer, Olympic bronze medalist Ogogo will not look out of place as a support act.
“One fight we are going to have on there (Mayweather card) as well, which will be televised with a highlight package on the telecast, is Anthony Ogogo, the UK Olympian,” said Schaefer.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s a kid who can fight and a kid who’s tremendously charismatic.”
Ogogo, 24, is undefeated in three professional fights so far against Kieron Gray, Gary Boulden and Edgar Perez, stopping the first two in the second and fifth round respectively.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 4 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 5 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 6 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
- 7 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 8 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 9 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
- 10 'It's powerful' - Harper on Town's use of sports psychology
Schaefer is happy with Ogogo’s progress and waxed lyrical over the former Triple A Amateur Boxing Club boxer’s marketablity.
“He’s going into his fourth fight now and he certainly has the most endorsement deals already,” said Schaefer.
“He has an endorsement deal with Nike, he has an endorsement deal with Subway and he has an endorsement deal with Coca-Cola. Imagine that, Coca-Cola, Subway and Nike.
“There is no other fighter in the world who has that.
“The reason why he has that is because he is one of the most well-spoken individuals I have ever met – very charismatic, very funny and just a great guy, so he is going to be on the card as well.
“I am very happy that a large, live audience in the MGM Grand and a large audience at home are going to be able to see Anthony Ogogo.”