Arsenal interest will have a positive effect on Tyrone Mings, insists McCarthy
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy firmly believes that Arsenal’s interest in Tyrone Mings will lift the rising star to a new level.
Gunners boss Arsene Wenger yesterday confirmed that Mings is one of several players the Premier League club are monitoring.
Speaking ahead of this afternoon’s Championship clash with Leeds United at Portman Road, McCarthy said: “I hope it affects him and he plays even better because he knows people are coming to watch him.
“Why can’t we take it as a positive thing? If Arsene Wenger was looking at me my chest would be pumped. I think it’s doing us a favour.”
Asked if Wenger revealing interest irked him, the Blues boss replied: “It doesn’t bother me that. He gets asked directly and he answers.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone knows scouts are coming down so what’s the point in him saying ‘no’? I’m not a whinger when it comes to things like that.”
With his side currently second in the Championship table, McCarthy continued: “Listen, Ty wants to get in the Premier League with us. If it doesn’t happen, and Arsenal want to come and throw loads of money at him, then there’s not much we can do other than negotiate and see what happens.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 6 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 7 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain
“We try and get good players and if they do well then the big clubs come and look at them. It’s just all part of the process for me.”
Mings, 21, was a £10,000 signing from Wiltshire-based non-league club Chippenham Town in December 2012. Town turned down a bid of £3m from Crystal Palace in August and some national reports suggest he is now valued as much as £10million.
Asked if he had a figure in mind, McCarthy quipped: “36-24-36 was always my favourite figure when Miss World was on!”
Do Chippenham have a sell-on clause?
“No. I don’t think he was even in contract so they had no claim on him at the time,” said McCarthy.
Mings is under contract at Town until 2017.
– Follow @Stuart_Watson on Twitter for live match updates.