Aston Villa v Ipswich Town nostalgia: Birthday Boy Chris Kiwomya scores twice as Town force a replay in the League Cup
- Credit: Archant
In this week’s nostalgia, we take a look at when two goals from Chris Kiwomya earned Ipswich Town a replay with Aston Villa in the fourth round of the League Cup, in December 1992.
Two goals by Chris Kiwomya earned battling Ipswich Town a replay with Aston Villa in the fourth round of the League Cup in December 1992.
After a goaless first half, the home side took the lead in the 63rd minute when Dalian Atkinson headed home from a cross by Dean Saunders who had jinxed passed Town defender Phil Whelan on the byline.
Eight minutes later Ipswich were level when John Wark started the move that saw Jason Dozzell pass the ball into Mick Stockwell who set up Chris Kiwomya in space who finished with his right foot from ten yards.
But five minutes later the home side were back in front when Dalian Atkinson produced a glorious pass inside Stockwell and his strike partner Saunders did the rest with a lethal right foot finish.
You may also want to watch:
Town got their second equaliser of the game eight minutes from the end when Mick Stockwell chased a long ball from Phil Whelan which flew to Kiwomya who calmy fired into the net from 25 yards to earn Ipswich a replay at Portman Road.
- 1 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 10 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash