Aveley dash Bury's play-off dreams
BURY Town's play-off hopes were ended on the final game of the season with defeat at Aveley.The Suffolk side went into their last match knowing they required a win and other results to go their way, however, without their suspended skipper Bullard, it simply wasn't to be their afternoon.
BURY Town's play-off hopes were ended on the final game of the season with defeat at Aveley.
The Suffolk side went into their last match knowing they required a win and other results to go their way, however, without their suspended skipper Bullard, it simply wasn't to be their afternoon.
The host took the lead as early as the second minute when Doyle was allowed to rise unchallenged and head his side in front.
Undaunted, Bury took the game to their opponents and deservedly equalised after 15 minutes when, following an exquisite bout of passing between Smith, Foster and Barrett, Smith went clear to squeeze the ball inside the post.
You may also want to watch:
Bury failed to clear their lines on the half hour though and Bradbury, loitering at the far post, nonchalantly nodded Aveley back in front.
Seven minutes later and Bury has a mountain to climb when indecision let in Barnes to extend the home lead.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 3 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 4 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 5 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 6 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 7 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 8 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 9 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 10 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
After Bury were twice denied, the hosts once again punished a poor clearance when Wheeler scored a fourth goal after 67 minutes.