Back surgery could sideline Tommy Smith for 12 weeks
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town centre-back Tommy Smith requires back surgery and is facing up to 12 weeks on the sidelines.
The 26-year-old started the games against Preston and Reading, but missed Wednesday night’s 1-0 win at Derby with the problem.
“Tommy unfortunately has a problem with his back, with a disc, and it looks like he’s going to require an operation to fix that,” said Blues boss Mick McCarthy, speaking ahead of tomorrow’s Championship visit of Aston Villa.
“It’s going to be a lengthy one. He’ll get it done, we’ll get the best people doing it, it’ll probably be 12 weeks.
“We’re going to miss Tom, he came back and he was excellent in the games he played.
“It’s sad for him, but we’ve got Adam (Webster), Bez (Christophe Berra) and Chambo (Luke Chambers) still, so we’ve still got cover there.”
He added: “I think he’s had it before, it’s just centre-backs jumping and heading all the time, it’s a fairly long lever in the back and you end up with that.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 3 'Ipswich did so much for me' - Knight excited for Town return with Crewe after dream Manchester City move
- 4 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 5 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 6 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 7 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
- 8 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 9 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 10 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143
“He just complained about it a few weeks ago, whether he’s had it before that I don’t know.
“And in the Reading game and it really started to bother him. He’s been and had it looked at and he’s got to have it sorted out.”
Better news for the Blues is that Freddie Sears has been passed fit after a groin strain kept him out of the trip to the iPro Stadium, while Cole Skuse is over the illness which forced him off during the game against the Rams.
– See tomorrow’s EADT for full match preview.