Abbeygate’s Hannah proves the star performer at Ipswich Badminton League Championships
- Credit: Archant
The Ipswich and District Badminton League Under-18 Championships took place at Whitton Sports Centre where Hannah Pamplin of the Abbeygate club was the star performer, picking up three titles.
The first success for Pamplin was the girls’ singles where she emerged undefeated in a round-robin event. Rachel Thompson (Felixstowe), who lost 21-10, 21-5 to Pamplin, won her other games to finish as runner-up.
Sam Rahmanpour (YMCA) won the opening boys’ singles game in Group A against Max Elvin (Woodbridge), 21-18, and this victory proved to be decisive as both players won their remaining group games.
In Group B, Rylee Hoang (YMCA) was undefeated and Oliver Pearmain (Stowmarket) who lost 21-16 to Hoang was runner-up. Rahmanpour and Hoang therefore met in a repeat of last week’s Under 15 final. Rahmanpour edged the first game 21-20 and pulled away from 13-all in the second, winning 21-15 to lift the trophy.
The doubles events were played in round-robin format where Pamplin won her second title, the girls’ doubles, partnered by Thompson.
You may also want to watch:
The Woodbridge pair, Grace Chester and Beth Scahill, were runners-up. In the boys’ doubles, two pairs, Theo Broom (Kesgrave) and Pearmain, and the YMCA pair, Zheng Chok and Hoang were undefeated with five wins each, when they met to decide the contest. Pearmain and Broom overpowered their younger opponents to come out on top, 21-6.
Pamplin completed her treble by winning the mixed doubles with Pearmain, a narrow 21-17 victory over runners-up, Scahill and Elvin, clinching the title.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 3 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 4 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 5 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 6 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 7 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 8 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
- 9 Suffolk braced for Indian summer before forecast showers next week
- 10 More police mistakes in case of 'bubbly and funny' Emma who fell from window
Girls’ Singles: Winner – H Pamplin, Runner-up – R Thompson.
Boys’ Singles: Final - S Rahmanpour beat R Hoang 21-20, 21-15.
Girls’ Doubles: Winners – H Pamplin & R Thompson, Runners-up – G Chester & B Scahill.
Boys’ Doubles: Winners – T Broom & O Pearmain, Runners-up – Z Chok & R Hoang.
Mixed Doubles: Winners – H Pamplin & O Pearmain, Runners-Up – B Scahill & M Elvin.