Barrow boy signs for U’s
Colchester United have made non-league midfielder Andrew Bond their first summer signing.
COLCHESTER United have made their first transfer of the summer, beating off interest from a number of clubs to sign highly-rated midfielder Andrew Bond from non-league side Barrow.
The 24-year-old had attracted interest from a number of clubs – including Preston, Leicester and Carlisle – after playing a star role in his Conference Premier side’s season.
Barrow finished 15th in the table, but won the FA Trophy by beating Stevenage in the final. U’s boss John Ward attended that Wembley-based final where he was impressed by energetic box-to-box midfielder Bond.
The Wigan-born player came through Dario Gradi’s famous youth ranks at Crewe and, although he featured regularly in their reserve side, was released without making a first team appearance.
You may also want to watch:
Bond joined then Blue Square North side Barrow in 2006. He was named ‘player of the year’ in his first season and then played a big role in the club’s promotion to non-league’s top flight via the play-offs the following year.
Bond – who has signed a two-year deal at the Weston Homes Community Stadium – was called into the England C squad in 2008.
- 1 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 4 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 7 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 8 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 9 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash
- 10 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named