Beckham to come to Town?
EXCLUSIVEDAVID Beckham could be training with Ipswich Town this winter.Blues boss Jim Magilton is ready to extend an invitation to the England and LA Galaxy midfielder to join his squad during the MLS off-season.
By Derek Davis
DAVID Beckham could be training with Ipswich Town this winter.
Blues boss Jim Magilton is ready to extend an invitation to the England and LA Galaxy midfielder to join his squad during the MLS off-season.
You may also want to watch:
Although LA Galaxy insist Beckham will not be allowed to play for any club on loan during the winter break, Beckham is keen to train in England and Ipswich is reasonably close to his Hertfordshire home.
LA Galaxy coach Frank Yallop has close ties with Ipswich Town after playing for time during and managing both Jason de Vos and Jaime Peters while the national team boss, and knows the Blues set up very well.
- 1 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 4 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 7 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 8 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 9 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker in Cavendish
- 10 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
Magilton told the EADT: “I would love to have David Beckham training with us. If it helps him out then he would be very welcome here indeed. It would give our players a huge boost to be training with someone of his calibre and give the whole place a huge lift.
“I speak with Frank Yallop quite often and although we have not yet spoken about this, it is something I will suggest next time we talk.
“I will invite David to train with us, ideally I would also love to have him play a couple of games but I doubt that would be possible.”
Arsenal and West Ham are also understood to be amenable to allowing Beckham to train with them in December and January.
LA Galaxy's last regular season game is November 18, although they have a match against Sydney FC in Australia scheduled for the end of November.
Beckham is then due to go on holiday with his family and has various projects planned before returning to pre-season training with his American club in late January, in time for the new season in April.
The England midfielder is currently out with a knee injury and not expected to play again until mid-October after limping out of the SuperLiga final against Mexican side Pachuca at the end of August.
Beckham last played at Portman Road when he captained England to a 3-1 win over Croatia in August 2003.
If David did take up Magilton's offer he would not be the first Beckham to grace the Blues' training centre with his cousin Michael an academy player between 1998 - 2001.