Blues boss McCarthy weighing up playing Folami and Cotter
- Credit: Archant
Mick McCarthy is considering giving more minutes to young striker Ben Folami at Brentford and admitted Irishman Barry Cotter could make his Ipswich debut before the end of the campaign.
Australian teenager Folami came off the bench for his Championship debut against Millwall on Monday and played a major role in the Blues’ first goal, which eventually went down as Martyn Waghorn’s in the 2-2 draw.
He could be involved again at Brentford today, with a place on the bench more likely than a start following McCarthy’s comments this week.
“I’m considering it (starting Folami) but I’ll have a look at Brentford first and make my decision on that,” he said. “And how I want to play, actually.
“He handled it very well on Monday, played well and he’s trained with us today.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s alright – he can play. We’ve got Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday on the back of Saturday-Monday of course so there will be a few of the players playing.”
McCarthy has been impressed by a number of youngsters of late, admitting Barry Cotter - a January signing from Limerick in Ireland - could be involved before the end of the season.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 2 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 3 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 4 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 5 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 6 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 9 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 10 Cambridge United 2-2 Ipswich Town: Blues let their lead slip again in draw
“He’s alright, Cotter, I’m delighted with him and there’s every chance he could take part in a game,” McCarthy said.
“Tristan (Nydam) certainly and that’s why I took him off (in the Under 23s 2-1 win over Cardiff on Wednesday).
“I thought Ben Morris did well and I thought Aaron Drinan did well.”