Former Town loan target joins Dutch top flight club
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Former Ipswich Town loan target Ben Woodburn has joined Dutch club Sparta Rotterdam on loan from Liverpool.
The Wales international was linked with a loan move to the Blues earlier this month and it’s understood the Blues did show a level of interest, along with fellow League One promotion-chasers Portsmouth.
However, following last season’s loan at Oxford, Liverpool have decided his development would be best served in the Dutch top flight.
Woodburn, Wales’ youngest ever scorer, can play on the wing but is more comfortable playing as a No.10.
MORE: ‘There had to be some things said... some will respond, some won’t like it’ – Lambert on his summer of tough loveHe made just 16 appearances for the Kassam Stadium club last season, scoring once during a campaign in which he broke both his feet in separate incidents.
He heads to Rotterdam on the recommendation of the Reds’ Dutch assistant coach, Pepijn Lijnders.
You may also want to watch:
Ipswich have made three senior signings this summer, bringing in David Cornell, Stephen Ward and Oli Hawkins ahead of the start of the League One season.
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 3 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 4 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 5 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 6 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 7 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 8 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 10 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win